Thursday, January 3, 2013

Etched Glass For Christmas! Pic Heavy

Hey there peeps!  I finally got up the nerve to try something I have always been wanteing to do - etched glass.  I have always been intimidated by process.  It just seemed so daunting and hard to do.  I decided to give it a go this holiday season. Here's my first project.

Here's what I used!
  • Etching Cream
  • Q-tips
  • MS Elegant Cake Art Cartridge
  • Calligraphy Collection Cartridge
  • Vinyl
  • Various Glass objects -  glasses, wine glasses, dishes

For the Pyrex dish, I wanted to etch the back of the dish.  So I designed my wording on my Gypsy and flipped the image so it cut backwards.  This made the sticky side on the top of my vinyl.  I stuck it to the bottom of my dish and pressed down so all the edges sealed real well.

IMPORTANT!!!- When you select your design, make sure you put a box around the design so you can make a good template.  This box helps keep a safe border of vinyl between your etching cream and the rest of your glass object. 


Using the Q-tip, layer the etching cream inside the vinyle with your design cut out of it. 


Once 5-10 minutes have passed, wash the remaining cream off with warm water and soap.  Before you do, you can scrap the cream off and put it back in the container.  This will help your cream last longer.  Tada!!!! You are done!

When I went to the store to buy the materials, the clerk told me that once I started, I would be addicted.  Man was she right!  Soon I was thinking of all kinds of things to do.  I decided to make some glasses of all different kinds for Christmas gifts.  Here are some pics of what I made.







I hope you enjoyed seeing my projects and mostly, I hope this post inspires you to make something with glass etching.  Until next time...

Smooches!

Robin

2 comments:

  1. I love all of the things you made Robin!! I'm glad I got to see the casserole dish in person...it was really pretty! I love the fonts you used too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these turned out wonderful! It is addictive! I need to do to my casserole dishes, too!

    ReplyDelete